Sky Q Launching 9th February at £12 more than current Sky+ package
Sky today announced that their new Sky Q system will launch on the 9th February 2016 at a typical monthly cost of around £12 extra compared with the current Sky+ package, plus a £99 installation fee. That puts the starting price for Sky Q at £42 per month.
For those of you thinking ‘Sky What?’, Sky Q is the new next generation premium product from Sky, allowing ‘Fluid Viewing’, and the recording of more channels at once. By ‘Fluid Viewing’ they mean you can pause a show in one room, and pick it up where you left off on your tablet, or in another room. You can also record 3 channels at once whilst watching a 4th live.
Sky Q will launch with two brand new bundles. The Sky Q Bundle include:
- Over 50 HD channels and 300+ Sky Box Sets as standard, accessed via completely new TV guide and home page.
- Record 3 shows and watch a 4th live.
- Pause on one room and pick up the action on a tablet around your home.
- Stream your TV around your home via the Sky Q app, and take your recordings with you.
- Download shows to your tablet to watch offline.
- All new Sky Q touch Bluetooth remote.
- Browse Facebook photos and stream music wirelessly over your TV sound system with Bluetooth or Apple’s AirPlay.
- Brand new interactive sidebar apps for catching up with the latest from Sky News and Sky Sports without interrupting the big screen experience.
- Brand new Online Video section – with videos fully on demand from YouTube and Vevo, plus a curated service which showcases a wide range of the best of the web– including videos from GQ, Vogue, WIRED, Red Bull Media House and Funny Or Die.
There’s also the Sky Q Silver Bundle which adds:
- The ultimate Fluid Viewing experience, on multiple TV screens around your home – letting you watch on up to two additional Sky Q Minis (1 is provided), and the option to stream your TV to two tablets all at the same time.
- Record and watch even more: record 4 shows while watching a 5th live.
- The top of the range 2TB Sky Q Silver box, which is Ultra HD ready in advance of Sky launching the UK’s most comprehensive Ultra High Definition service later in 2016.
All customers who already have Sky Broadband or who purchase Sky Broadband when buying Sky Q will also receive our new Sky Q Hub that turns Sky Q boxes into Wi-Fi hotspots, giving a supercharged Sky Broadband experience with the strongest and best coverage throughout the home. Sky Q installations will be phased with Sky Broadband customers receiving the product first, before very soon opening up to those with other broadband providers.
Sky Q comes with a new customer service support, with all Sky Q customers receiving free servicing and mechanical fault repairs, and access to a dedicated premium service centre based in the UK.
Dave has over 20 years experience in the digital industry, and is founder and editor of Geektown. Obviously a huge geek himself, he can often be found in front of the latest tv show or movie, on various video games, or with his head in a comic book.