Sky Sets May Launch Date For New Channels Sky Documentaries & Sky Nature, Along With Rebranded Sky History
Sky has announced that their two brand-new factual channels, Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature, will be launching on 27th May 2020 alongside the rebranded Sky HISTORY, a co-branded venture between Sky and A+E Networks previously known as HISTORY.
The new channels will include extensive on-demand libraries and offer hundreds of hours of factual programming, providing a mix of premium, original commissions and acquired content. The channels will be available to Sky customers at no extra charge through linear and on-demand. They will also launch on NOW TV, available as part of the NOW TV Entertainment Pass. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect on the new channels.
Sky Documentaries will be the home of world-class, real-life stories from award-winning filmmakers, including HBO, SHOWTIME and Hulu exclusives and new Sky original documentaries. With a mix of feature-length documentaries and series that will challenge, provoke and entertain, the channel will house 100 on-demand titles. The channel will cover a wide range of topics from sport, to politics, to real-life controversies. Shows coming up include:
- McMillions (27th May 2020) tells the story of a gaming scam that lasted a decade.
- Ali Vs Cavett (29th May 2020) portrays the life of boxing legend Muhammad Ali through the lens of his frequent appearances on the Dick Cavett Show.
- The Plastic Nile (1st June 2020) looks at the devastating effect of plastic pollution on the world’s longest river.
- Hillary (11th June 2020) provides a remarkably intimate portrait of public woman Hillary Clinton.
- Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men (24th June 2020) looks back on the group’s career combining intimate and reflective interviews from each of the nine living members
Sky Nature will be home to breath-taking natural history programming, dedicated to exploring the beauty and wonder of the natural world and inspiring us all to do more to look after it. The channel will feature landmark Sky original series including:
- Wild Animal Babies (31st May 2020) which follows Patrick Aryee and an adorable cast of baby animal characters as they face their first days, weeks and months on planet earth.
- The channel will feature Sky’s existing David Attenborough collection and will be the home of Love Nature 4K’s programming in the UK, with shows including Gangs of Lemur Island (27th May 2020), Africa’s Underwater Wonders (27th May 2020) and Mysteries of the Mekong (28th May 2020).
Sky HISTORY tells ground-breaking stories full of colourful characters through a mix of award-winning, talent-led UK commissions, premium innovative documentaries and global hit franchise programming.
- Join host William Shatner and discover stories that have mystified mankind for centuries in The UnXplained (9th June 2020).
- Explore the unique investigations into the engineering mysteries behind the world’s most breath-taking ancient monuments in Ancient Superstructures (1st June 2020).
- Secret Wars Uncovered (19th June 2020) reveals the facts behind battles that were shrouded in corruption and misinformation.
- Washington (4th July 2020), produced by renowned historian Doris Kearns Godwin and narrated by Emmy award-winning actor Jeff Daniels, chips away at the marbled image of America’s first president to seek the truth behind the legend.
Sky Documentaries, Sky Nature, and the rebranded Sky HISTORY all launch Wednesday, 27th May 2020 on Sky and NOW TV.